Oh my goodness, this post is hard to write. How on earth can we describe the joy that we've experienced this week? Our sweet Isabella Marie came into the world at 2:05 p.m. on Tuesday, October 2nd, weighing 7 lbs, 3.5 ounces and measuring 20.5 inches long. She is perfect!
We knew that Leo was taking Chelle to the hospital between 3-4 p.m. on Monday, October 1st. They were going to start her induction slowly that afternoon, and augment her labor with pitocin on Tuesday a.m. Our original plan was to get up very early in the morning on Tuesday and race to Mississippi to be there in time for Isabella's birth. After a completely sleepless night on Sunday, I asked Rick to PLEASE let's get in the car and head south after lunch on Monday. We knew that we had about an 11 hour drive ahead of us and I really wanted to be there before her birth. Rick agreed (thank you hon!) and we drove down Monday night, with hourly phone calls and updates with Chelle. We got about 3 hours sleep Monday night, then got everyone up and ready to head for the hospital.
By the time we arrived, Chelle's contractions were coming fast and furious. She had decided earlier to hold off on getting her epidural, but by the time we arrived she was ready for some relief! The anesthesioligist got her comfortable and we learned that she was 6 cm dilated about noon. Great progress, but I thought that Rick should probably get the girls some lunch and take them to the hotel for a nap. Boy did I misjudge the timing! Just as the aunts-to-be were falling asleep for their naps, Chelle hit transition. Shaking from head to toe, nauseated and vomiting while trying to breathe through hard contractions, we knew that she was getting close. Convinced her nurse to check her again, even though only an hour had passed since the 6 cm check, and the nurse was quite surprised to feel Miss Isabella's head descending! I offered to leave the room and go update Leo's Mom and Dad (who also ended up driving over on Monday, btw!), but Chelle did not want me to leave the room. I was more than happy to stay.
I still can't believe that I was there with Chelle and Leo, holding Chelle's hand, and trying my best to help talk her through those contractions and her pushing. I have never been more proud of my daughter than I was at that time. I had the privilege to see my granddaughter come into the world!!! We had prayed so hard for this baby to come into Chelle and Leo's life, and I was there to witness the miracle of her birth. I still get teary-eyed every time I remember that moment, and I doubt that will ever change. Thank you, Lord.
I hope y'all are ready for even more pictures!!
1 comment:
You've got me crying here in Oklahoma. Someday little Isabella will know how very much she was wanted and how so many prayed for her appearance into your family's life. She is one very special little girl. And beautiful, I might add. :-)
Kim
Post a Comment