Nearly three years ago, God put the thought of adopting a little boy in my head and on my heart. With all that was going on in our lives, I knew that it wasn't quite the right time, but that didn't keep me from mentioning it to Rick every now and then. Sometimes more often than others. :-) As I would feel the pull to adopting again quite strongly at times, I would always pray for God to be working on Rick's heart, and when the time was right, to please help Rick know that it was God's plan for us.
After Rick left his last job and had six months off to spend with us, after he said his final farewell to his father who died from lung cancer just over a year ago, Rick told me that he thought it was time for us to bring that little boy home. & God smiled on him. Many times. God couldn't have shown Rick more clearly that He was pleased if He had plastered it on a billboard! Knowing that truly gave me a sense of peace about this adoption process. (okay, I lost that peace very briefly when our I797 was lost by the CCAA, ha!), but honestly, God has carried us through every step, down to the detail of the timing which is allowing Adam to come with us!
If it weren't for Rick's father passing, we would not have had the funds for this adoption. So very bittersweet, but we can't think of a greater legacy for his father. Keeping that in mind throughout this adoption journey, we've found ourselves pretty emotional in these last weeks. In 2003, just before we left for Ashlie's adoption, Rick's dad came down to visit us. He'd been pretty removed from all the adoption excitement, but coming to watch Adam's baseball tournament over the weekend just before we traveled gave him the opportunity to get caught up in our excitement! He was busy running around with Rick, picking up last minute gifts and other necessities. I still remember the fierce hug he gave me as he said goodbye, telling me how excited he was and how proud he was of Rick and me.
So this week as we're going over packing lists and celebrating Ashlie's forever family day, we've really missed Rick's dad. Wondering if he knows from heaven that he is truly a part of this adoption as well, . . .
When Dick passed away, his wife Mary asked Rick and the boys if they wanted any of Dick's clothes. They all chose some shorts and shirts, and it's been a nice way to feel a little closer to Dick now that he's gone.
Last night, I asked Rick to please make sure he had plenty of shirts and shorts for our China trip. He got out his shorts, and tried on a few pairs of his Dad's that he hadn't worn before. After he pulled on a pair, he felt something in the back pocket. Wondering what that could be, he reached around, and found an old hanky of his dad's, folded neatly as hankies usually are. Turns out his Dad was included in the excitement of our preparation for this adoption after all. Feeling so incredibly blessed.
Friday, July 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Totally crying. I never doubt for a moment that he is above watching us all. I miss him so much.
Give Dad a hug from me. Love you.
Sniff :) what a touching tribute to Rick's dad. He's smiling down from heaven I'm sure.
well this post has me completely in tears...what a beautiful tribute to Rick's dad. Praying for a wonderful journey as you meet your new son.
Add me to the list of those crying. What a precious story!
Hi, Just hopped over from Sarah B.'s blog...and this post is beautiful. My dad is still with me...but he uses handkerchiefs all the time...he always has one in his pocket, and I have used them on many many many occasions. So I completely identify with the specialness of them. In fact, after one visit with my dad, he left one at my house, and I keep it right by my nightstand...because it so reminds me of him. Anyway...all that to say, your post is beautiful...and I am sure your father in law does know that he is completely a part of bringing this little one into your family. :) Blessings...Meredith
Jill that was beautiful! A wonderful tribute to your father-in-law.
I can't wait to follow your journey!
Kim
Loved your post! It was a beautiful post and tribute to your Father in law.
Your story about finding Max is so similar to our story for Toby. God has done some amazing things to lead our reluctant hubbies to our sweet boys!
I can't wait to follow your journey...just wish that our paperchasing had allowed us to travel with you guys. I know that Max and Toby are going to be best buds!
Love it when God gives us these confirmations that we are on His path! Can't wait to see you with your little Max!
Okay I'm starting my morning in tears and blubbering....what will Shawn think when he comes back from jogging and sees me like this?...he'll have to read this one. Aren't you so thankful you are held in the Palm of His Hands and that He hears our hearts prayers and answers them beyond any expectations we may have. Make sure you keep THAT special hanky to pass down to Max one day. God is good all the time...all the time God is good. Still praying!
What a special blessing!
Gayly
So great how God gives us little reminders and blessings. Thx, Jill. We are praying and can't wait to follow your trip to Max.
What a beautiful moment...I'm sure your hearts are full of lots of memories, but so wonderful to have moments like these when we feel extra close to the ones we've been missing. ((hugs))
Post a Comment