and "I ride the bus everyday."
I have to share a little background on our Ashlie for you to fully appreciate my joy when Ashlie brought home her school papers today. Before preschool, when all of Ashlie's friends were learning their letters and sounds (and even reading, for some of them), Ashlie had NO INTEREST in letters. She's a smart girl, great with numbers, loves to have books read to her, etc., but put a letter in front of her and she would lose interest IMMEDIATELY.
Things improved in preschool, where she quickly learned her letters and most of their sounds, but if you suggested putting sounds together to learn a word, her eyes would just glaze over and she wouldn't even try.
Obviously, one of my greatest hopes for her for kindergarten is that she learns to read. She's making great progress (but will still get that glazed over look if she sees an unfamiliar word - I'm beginning to think that she's afraid to try the unknown, for fear of not getting it perfect, . . .) But she's definitely a beginning reader now!!
I was SO surprised and so emotional when she brought home those papers! She drew the picture and told her little story by spelling phonetically. I'm so proud of her!!! (& could she have made the word "can't" any more difficult?)
8 comments:
Oh, I loved looking at Ashlie's pictures and words!
She is doing great! Tell her we are so proud of how much she is learning in kindergarten.
love to her and all, gma (and gpa)
That is too precious! Ashlie will do fine you know, she'll just do it at her own pace!
Halli has just now taken an interest to video games, and I'm convinced that she had to get to the place in her mind that she could do something, fail, and do it again. These perfectionist children! Wonder where they get those attitudes? :)
Way to go, Ashlie! You're on your way now. Isn't it amazing to watch our kiddos learn? I just love it.
Way to go, Ashlie! You're on your way now. Isn't it amazing to watch our kiddos learn? I just love it.
How wonderful! It looks like Ashlie is doing great.
Blessings,
Sarah
Great job Ashlie!! I know your mom is proud!
My youngest was/is the exact same way. I thought she'd never learn to write her name. She's smart, but has no interest in writing/reading...and thinks school is just for her social life. :-)
Ashlie, I am so proud of you! This brought tears to my eyes...proud, happy tears!
Love you guys!
Good girl Ashlie!!
Post a Comment