Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Allie's ENT visit - Not quite what I expected

Bless her heart. She was really trying to smile, but was so nervous about what was coming.




Today Allie had an appointment with the audiologist and the ENT. (the "Ear Doctor" to her, who happened to be Annie's "Throat Doctor"!) I took those pictures back in the audiologists room while we were waiting. Allie was obviously nervous and very talkative to all the doctors, receptions, billing department ~ you name it!
The plan was for her to have the hearing tests first and then the exam by Dr Bell, who was supposed to clean the earwax out of her ears as well. (She's had enough earwax in her ear canals to completely block the dr's view of her inner ears since she came home from China.) Well, . . . the audiologist looked in her ears and said that she was sure we wouldn't be doing any hearing tests until the earwax was cleared. Dr. Bell took a long look in both ears and was pretty surprised. There would also be no earwax clearing today, because there was just too much wax buildup there (sounds like an old linoleum cleaner commercial, doesn't it?) for her to do safely in the office.
The plan is for us to put hydrogen peroxide in her ears and massage them each for 15 minutes every night for two weeks. In two weeks Allie will visit her again to see if she can get them cleared easily. If she really doesn't see improvement, Allie will go to the hospital and have general anesthesia to have them cleaned out. (& they'll go ahead and check to see if she needs tubes in her ears at that same time.) Since our doctor is moving mid-June, she went ahead and had us schedule the procedure today.
I was left just a little shook up. I had expected some hearing tests and a little earwax cleaning and left with a June 9th appointment for the operating room and general anesthesia for our sweet girl. You know that we're praying the hydrogen peroxide will work!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

My heart broke a little when I saw how nervous she looked in the 2 top pictures. Bless her heart!

Sending and saying prayers that the peroxide will in fact work. I love you guys and wish I was there to give you both a hug!

PS--tell Allie she looked sooo pretty in her outfit!

llespy said...

Poor Allie! I sure hope the peroxide works and gets enough of the wax out. She's sure had a couple of rough appointments after just receiving her shots. Give her a hug from Aunt Lisa!!

Howard and Kim said...

praying with you on this one!
Makes me all misty just thinking about it.

Hugs to you and Allie!

Kim

grandma said...

You know grandma's heart breaks when the kiddos have to go through so much. As Lisa said she has had a rough pre-kindergarten preparation, with her Dr. appts. I'm surprised she held up so well.. Sure hope the peroxide does it..
Like Chelle, can sure see a worried little Allie in those pictures.. and some more big hugs and kisses from her gma and gpa.

Sarah said...

Goodness! I'll be praying for Allie.

Blessings,
Sarah

LJ said...

Praying there will be no surgery required! Allie has the cutest expressions (even when she's nervous)...she's adorable!

Nel said...

Let Allie know her AunT NanC has had to do the peroxide in the ears, and it really does help.

When she has her next appointment, the ear wash should feel really good because they try to use a nice warm water that just washes all that stuff away - and then she'll be able to hear SO much better!

(And hopefully that will be the outcome with no surgery needed!)

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

Poor thing, I really hope the peroxide works!!

Martha said...

Wow. Poor little Allie. I pray that peroxide will do the trick!

Kristi said...

Awww those faces are so sweet :( I hope eveything goes ok.