I was dreading this appointment. Annie has a hoarse little voice that our doctor has been a little concerned about since we came home last year. I've put off this visit long enough and we finally went in today. The doctor said we had two options; spray a numbing spray into Annie's nose and then use a scope to see her throat and vocal chords, or do the procedure under anesthesia in the OR. I chose the scope in the office. Annie may have preferred the other. She cried and started to panic with the spray alone, and she screamed, cried, gagged, and said "It's Yucky!" all during the scope procedure. Her vocal chords did not have any growths or polyps, but they were very swollen. Caused by screaming. Yeah, I was not surprised by that.
The surprising part was that the doctor also said that she had the worst case of reflux irritation that she had seen in a young child. They're supposed to be calling in a prescription for that and we go back in six weeks. If the hoarseness is not noticeably improved, they will repeat the procedure. So we didn't have a really good afternoon, and I'm really not sure what to think about everything. If we get Adam packed up early enough tonight I'll probably be doing a little internet research.
7 comments:
Hey we just went thru this with Abby last Winter. She has reflux as well and we ended up having her tonsils and adnoids out to. She has sleep apnea and never got a good nights sleeps pretty hoarse. What ent do you see. We see Dr. Bell.
Poor Annie and poor momma :( I am sorry today was a hard day.
And with tomorrow being right around the corner I was hoping for a nice appointment!
We love you and miss you!
Jadon also had very swollen vocal chords from screaming (when he was about 3 years old). His speech therapist told me that he should stop screaming, so that he wouldn't develop more problems with his little throat. I thought that was pretty funny, because I would have LOVED to have known how to get him to stop screaming! LOL! The funny thing was, telling him that his speech therapist said that it was really bad for his voice to scream really did help him to stop much of his screaming. You never know what's going to help!
Sorry you had such an exhausting day.
Blessings,
Sarah
Hi Jill,
Just checking in on your little cuties! The raspy voice may be from the reflux! Poor little annie. after I check on your kids i usually like to pop over and check on your beautiful grand daughter!
Carol
Awww, poor baby and poor mommy. When this week is over, you all need some major "chill" time.
Hugs to you both!
Kim
What a "Yucky" day. I'm so glad there's nothing wrong with Annie's little vocal chords. I pray this medicine will take care of her problem.
Hang in there, Mommy, you did good!
Kim is right....you will need some chill time!
Sweet Annie girl, it is so hard to see them go though something so hard. Give her a BIG hug from Kimi...she doesn't even know me :-(...just tell her it if from her future mother-in-law :-).
Love you,
Kimi
Post a Comment